• Steel with a Minimum yield strength 280 N/mm.
• Beams are assumed to be simply supported.
• Load and deflection are calculated using a safety factor of 1.6 and an allowable stress of 175 N/mm.
• Results given are for Pre-galvanized steel, Hot dipped galvanized will reduce the stress due to the heat
treatment and reduce the loading in the chart by a factor of approx 18%.
• Beam loads are calculated from the column face and effective length in BS5950.
• The tables show:
1) The max safe working load,
2) the load to give 1/200 deflection
3) load to give 1/360 deflection - the deflection used will depend on the installation designer.
• This also applies to Point and UDL loads.